I am going to pause all the gingerbread and peppermint on your feed to bring you all the tangy indulgence of a “Lemon Blueberry Baked Donut”. My 5 year old loves blueberries but she never eats them fast enough and I end up coming up with different ways to use them before they go bad so I made baked donuts. It seemed a little odd since everybody is baking and posting about cookies, gingerbread, and peppermint candy. Well, You know me. I am rebel.
These donuts were exactly what I needed and didn’t even know it. The blueberries were surprisingly sweet and the Meyer lemon was juicy perfection. These donuts are super light and delicate but packed with a bunch of flavor. What unexpected thing have you baked lately?
Lemon Blueberry Baked Donuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- —For the icing—
- 2 cups of powder sugar
- lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Generously spray 2 doughnut pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup whisk together the egg, milk, oil, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Mix wet ingredients to dry ingredients until well incorporated. Gently fold in blue berries.
- Spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each one a little more than three-quarters full. Bake for 15 -17 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Make the icing. Whisk together the powder sugar and lemon juice until very smooth.
- Dip the top of each donut into the icing, or drizzle over the top.