Jump to recipe
I am bringing Lentils back, woohoo! (to my kitchen) I am rediscovering my love for whole grains and legums. I’ve came to the realization that it is a lot harder to stay away complelty from certain foods groups than to keep a nice heatly balance, one that is more sustainable.
Example A: Lentils. I didn’t grow up loving them, my mom used to fix them around Lent every year and that was about it. I ate them cause I had to but now I love them!! My 41 year old body is not the same thought, but if I eat them in moderation and drink a lot of water, I am good.
Lentil soup is one of my favorite soups but since we are having some lovely warm days in San Antonio, Tx. I made them into a crisp salad.
The lentils are coated with a Balsamic Vinaigrette. I diced red bell peppers, cucumbers, parsley and queso fresco. Mix everything together and you have a delicious, fresh, and tasty lentil salad. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as I do.
Find recipe below!
*Disclaimer* I am not a dietitian or nutritionist. I am not telling you what to eat. I am just talking about my personal journey.
Lentil Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1/2 cucumber
- fresh parsley
- 4 oz queso fresco
- –For Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vingar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a sauce pan, bring two cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of lentils and reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the garlic clove, cover and let it cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Once the lentils are done, remove the garlic clove and discard. Get rid of any excess water.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let it cool at room temperature.
- Dice the bell pepper and cucumber into small cubes, chop the fresh parsley and add everything to the bowl.
- To make the vinaigrette, add the Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper to a small bowl. Drizzle the olive oil while whisking vigorously until emulsified.
- Pour the vinaigrette onto the lentils and gently stir until all is coated with it.
- Cut the queso fresco into small cubes (same size as veggies) and add it to the lentils. Stir.
- Season wit salt and pepper if needed.
- Keep in the refrigerator until read to serve. Enjoy!
© 2022 Copyright 2020 MarisolCooks.com