This is a recipe that’s been in my family for many, many years and it is probably one of the first things me and my sisters learned to make after we moved out of my mom’s house. I would say this is the Mexican version of a cheesecake, except a lot easier. Just blend everything until smooth and you will have not only one cheese pie but two! Ok, I guess it is not so hard to learn after all.
This pie is best when it’s served cold so even when when you have to cook in the oven, all the memories attached to this pie are summer memories. Nothing like a sweet, cold slice of cheese pie in the middle of the afternoon. This pie is highly requested at family gatherings and birthday celebrations. It never disappoints.
What you need to make Pie de Queso:
Maria Cookies or Graham Cracker
What you need to know before you make Pay de Queso
This recipe is for two 9″ pies but there are some modifications you can do: You can use store bought pie crust and save you some of the work. The pies freeze beautifully, I always make two and freeze one for another time or I gift it to a friend. You could also use one 9×13 rectangular baking dish and cut the pie into bars. The cooking time maybe longer since it will be bigger in size. If you notice the edges are browning too fast, cover the pie with aluminum foil until the pie is set and done. You can also add different toppings like berries, caramel sauce or whipped cream but to me, it needs nothing. It is perfect just like that.
You might also like:
Pan de Elote/ Mexican Corn Cake – Marisol Cooks
Pastel de Tres Leches/Tres Leches Cake – Marisol Cooks
Pay de Queso/Cheese Pie
- 1can evaporated milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 5 eggs
- 12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 280 grams Maria cookies or graham crackers
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 2 sticks of butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse the pecans a few times until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add the cookies and process until very fine, just like bread crumbs.
- Add the cookies to the bowl with the pecans and add the melted butter. Mix until it starts coming together like dough. Divide the dough between the two 9″ pie dish and press firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pans. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a blender and blend until very smooth. Just a couple of minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture in the two prepared pies and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour until set and a cake taster comes out clean.
- After the pies are done, turn the oven off and leave the door of the oven partially open. Let the sit inside the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pies from the oven and let them come to room temperature before transferring them to the refrigerator or freezer to chill.